Southern Adirondack REALTORS ,Inc. 296 Bay Road, Queensbury, NY
March 24, 2017
THE FIDO FACTOR- HOW PETS FACTOR IN “HOMEBUYING” DECISIONS
When making decisions about buying, selling or renovating their homes, Americans, by and large, take their pets’ needs into account, The Southern Adirondack REALTORS, Inc, (SAR) based in Queensbury calls this “The Fido Factor“. While the name “Fido” tends to be associated with dogs, a myriad of other favorite pet types can factor into the home buying decision according to association leadership. This theory is backed up by a new report from the National Association of Realtors® (NAR) just released in February 2017 and a 2017 Animal House: Remodeling Impact report, where 81 percent of respondents said that animal-related considerations play a role when deciding on their next living situation.
It’s in the numbers-Fido counts!
- 99 % of pet owners said they consider their animal part of the family, and this becomes apparent in the sacrifices pet owners are willing to make when it comes to buying and selling homes.
- 89 % of those surveyed said they would not give up their animal because of housing restrictions or limitations.
- 12% percent of pet owners have moved to accommodate their animal
- 19% said that they would consider moving to accommodate their animal in the future.
Buying a House? Deal or NO Deal? Realtors® who were surveyed indicated that one-third of their pet-owning clients often or very often will refuse to make an offer on a home because it is not ideal for their animal.
When it comes to selling a house, pets also can factor in how smooth a sales process can be.
- If at all possible, when a house showing is booked, this is a great time to pack up Fido and take him/her for a ride, or a long walk. It is best to not have pets in the house during showings.
- Be sure to introduce your pets to your REALTOR and let them know their names!
- If there is any past damage to your home due to pets, e.g. some gnawed door trim, be sure to replace before putting the house on the market.
- Keeping floors clean and free of pet toys will help your house sparkle and shine!
NAR REALTOR members were also surveyed about their relationships with animals, with 80 percent of Realtors® considering themselves animal lovers and 68 percent indicating that they have pets of their own. Twelve percent of Realtors® surveyed volunteer for an organization that helps animals, and 21 percent plan to volunteer in the future. The Southern Adirondack REALTORS , Young REALTOR Network conducted benefit for the Adirondack Save-A-Stray Shelter located in Corinth last year which culminated in a contribution of pet food, supplies and over $245 in monetary donations.
The Southern Adirondack REALTORS, Inc includes over 500 local professional REALTOR members and is one of the largest professional non-profit associations in the area with their members servicing Warren, Washington, Saratoga and portions of Essex County. The National Association of Realtors®, “The Voice for Real Estate,” is America’s largest trade association, representing more than 1.2 million members involved in all aspects of the residential and commercial real estate industries. For a list of local licensed REALTORS or to view current, accurate inventories of homes for sale visit www.SouthernAdkMLS.com or the association website for more consumer information at www.SouthernADKRealtors.org