NEW REALTOR® Resource Guide
A New REALTOR®? Whats Next?
Now that you are a REALTOR® member with the Southern Adirondack REALTORS® (SAR), the New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR), and the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), here are your next steps:
1. SAR Orientation
You must register and complete New Member Orientation through the SAR office within 3 months of becoming a member. Orientations are offered every other month and posted on the SAR Online Event Calendar. Go to SARevents.org for the SAR Event Calendar to find a date. (User ID is your NRDS # and Password is your last name with the first letter capitalized)
Before your orientation date, visit your member profile page at SARevents.org and "upload" your profile photo. This is the photo that clients and consumers will see when they visit our association's public facing website. Put on your best smile!
2. Global MLS Orientation
New members of the GLOBAL MLS must also register to attend and complete an MLS Orientation within 1 month of becoming a member per NAR requirements. Please contact Beverly Whiting, Global MLS Tech Support Associate at our SAR office: 518-741-7004 or email: BWhiting@globalmls.com
3. Code of Ethics Requirement
As a REALTOR® member, you must complete the National Association of REALTORS® Code of Ethics training (with CE or the Free version) within 3 months of your REALTOR® membership. If you take this course through another source other than the NAR online link or an SAR sponsored class, you must provide copy of your certificate of completion to the SAR office for file. Email Karen@southernadkrealtors.org , mail to Southern ADK REALTORS at 296 Bay Rd Queensbury NY 12804, or deliver it in person during business hours M-F 9-5.
- NYSAR Code of Ethics Resources- Click here for coupons, free CE & more from NYSAR
- NAR Code of Ethics Resources- Click here for NAR’s Code of Ethics Training
4. NYS Law of Agency
As a new Licensee in NYS you are required to complete 2 hours of CE on Law of Agency before your first license renewal, and then at least 1 hour for each renewal after that.
5. SAR News
Benefit from your Association! Be sure to take the time to read the all eNewsletters, special bulletins and event flyers emailed to you from Southern ADK REALTORS®. These emails contain relative information and resources for you to stay up to date with what is going on with licensing, industry standards, and association correspondence most useful to you and your business.
IMPORTANT REMINDER! Keep us always up-to-date if you have ANY changes to your email, contact information, address, etc. Our SAR member database is what feeds the state and national REALTOR® databases all current member information!
6. REALTOR Safety
We stress the importance of keeping safe, being aware and ensuring safety measures are in place at all times to protect you, our member and your clients! Please review this very important information, and implement safety practices at your brokerage, your home, your car and when showing properties.
What are the benefits of my SAR Membership?
The Southern Adirondack REALTORS®, Inc. (SAR) strives to provide its members with programs and services which enhance the members’ ability to successfully conduct their businesses in a competent and ethical manner, and to promote the public’s right to purchase, use and transfer real property. We also provide charitable giving and support to local and regional efforts through food drives, fundraising events and providing REALTOR® volunteers as part of our service-model to improve the quality of life for area residents.
As a member of our association, you also become a member of the NY State Association of REALTORS and the National Association of REALTORS.
SAR Member Benefits include:
- Education programs, including CE programs
- Real Estate Supply Store- in our office for your convenience!
- Exclusive Southern Adirondack Home Guide publication
- Comprehensive MLS system
- Direct Feed to Realtor.com and RPR with Broker options to Syndicated Sites
- MLS Training
- MLS Mobile App
- RPR App- awesome and powerful property search and customizable reports
- Special Events and Networking opportunities
- YRN – Young Realtor Network
- Active Committees
- Industry issues and updates, Round Tables
- Affiliate roster, displays and publications
- Access to up to date tax information for listings
- Digital Ink/ ZipLogix
- ShowingTime software
- Affiliate Events
- Community Relations and Outreach
- Much more including discount programs for insurance, marketing, travel and electronics- contact Karen@southernadkrealtors.com for more info!
MLS Rules and Regulations
As part of your SAR membership package, you gain access to our regional GLOBAL MLS System.
New members of GLOBAL MLS must complete an MLS Orientation within 1 month of becoming a member per NAR requirements. Please contact Beverly Whiting, GLOBAL MLS Tech Support Associate at our SAR office: 518-741-7004 or email: BWhiting@globalmls.com
An MLS system anywhere in the world is only as GOOD as the members attention to using it--and each GLOBAL MLS Member agrees to abide by the conditions of use of the MLS when submitting their application. Entering listings properly and within the RULES of the MLS are vital! This is a case where "Rules" are NOT meant to be broken--and failure to obey these rules can cost you time, $$ fines and even the loss of access to the MLS system entirely. Please refer to your GLOBAL MLS System Dashboard to find MLS Rules & Regulations.
KNOW THE GLOBAL MLS RULES and REGULATIONS!
Please contact Beverly Whiting, GLOBAL MLS Tech Support Associate at our SAR office for more information on Rules, Regulations and Mandatory MLS Orientation (518) 741-7004 or email: BWhiting@globalmls.com
Mandatory Orientations and Education
Mandatory Education Requirements for new SAR REALTOR® Members:
- You Must register and complete New Member Orientation through the SAR office. Orientations are offered every other month and posted on the SAR Calendar. Please check SARevents.org for upcoming dates.
- New members of the GLOBAL MLS must also register to attend and complete an MLS Orientation ASAP. Please contact Beverly Whiting, Global MLS Tech Support Associate at our SAR office: 518-741-7004 or email: BWhiting@globalmls.com
- As a new REALTOR member, you must complete the National Association of REALTORS Code of Ethics training (with CE or the Free version) within 3 months of your REALTOR® membership. If you take this course through another source other than the NAR online link or a SAR sponsored class, you must provide copy of your certificate of completion to the SAR office for file via email, mail to Southern ADK REALTORS Association at 296 Bay Rd Queensbury NY 12804, or deliver it in person during business hours M-F 9-5. Click HERE for NAR Code of Ethics training
NEW YORK STATE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR REAL ESTATE LICENSEES:
All Licensed Real Estate Salespeople & Brokers must complete 22.5 hours of CE training for every 2 year license renewal. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for keeping CE Certificates and tracking your CE Credits for license renewal. If you misplace a CE Certificate from a class you took, the school who delivered the class may charge a fee to issue another.
- 22.5 hours of CE for every 2 year license renewal (3 of these hours must be on Fair Housing) Click HERE for Online Fair Housing Course
- Law of Agency- Click HERE for Online Law of Agency Course
- New Licensees 2 hrs before 1st renewal
- 1 hr for every license renewal period thereafter
BEGINNING WITH LICENSE RENEWALS ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2021 YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE 7.5 OF YOUR 22.5 IN THESE COURSE CE'S:
3 CE Hours of Fair Housing
2.5 CE Hours of Business Ethics (the NAR Code of Ethics Course below counts for this!)
1 CE Hour of NYS Real Estate Legal Matters (NYSAR hosts a program at least annually- so watch for announcements!)
The remaining 15 CE hours can be with any credited programs you wish to expand your professional business industry skills, e.g. Marketing, Working with Clients, etc.
Mandatory Education Requirements for REALTORS®
- NAR Code of Ethics is required for all REALTOR® Members:
- For NEW REALTOR® MEMBERS, the NAR Code of Ethics must be taken within 6 months of membership.
- For all other members, the REALTOR® Code of Ethics must be taken once within every 3 year cycle. Current cycle is January 1, 2019- December 31, 2021.
NYSAR Education Resources- Click here for coupons, free CE & more from NYSAR
NAR Education Resources- Click here for NAR’s specialty training, online library, CE Classes, discounts & more
Key Links for New Members
Check the SARevents.org calendar and follow us on Facebook to keep on top of association activities and events so you can benefit from the resources, business relationships, and advantages available for you!
You're a REALTOR® Now, Click here for REALTOR® Trademark Rules
National Association of REALTORS resources and benefits are extensive! From content to share on your social media or email campaigns, video resources on various topics NYSAR member site, resources, and benefits found at NYSAR.com.
NYSAR Legal Hotline: The Legal Hotline is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and during official NYSAR functions. The Legal Hotline number is 518-43-NYSAR (518-436-9727).
RPR- what is it? This FREE Member tool helps you to create awesome searches, community data reports and housing stats---not to mention FIND PROPERTIES for your Clients with a few quick clicks! Check out the "on the fly" RPR APP!
SAR communicates important updates and information to it's members through our monthly newsletter.
This is vital information such as:
- Upcoming education programs and events
- CE Classes
- Dues notices
- Important legal issues impacting REALTORS®
- MLS updates
Please sign up below and keep an eye out for your SAR News!